- Data profiling is the process of analyzing the source data to better understand, what is the condition of data.
- This task basically used in beginning of the development life cycle in OLAP or ETL application.
- So its related to OLAP and activities related to this process is data cleanings analysis, pattern analysis, number or nulls, aggregations, group , distinct values etc.
- Data Profiler is a tool available to do this.
- SQL Server or any database technology provides utility or tool that help to discovery query and slow running queries.
- Query profiling is related to OLTP applications. This helps to performance tunning and optimizations.
- We do analysis on index scan/seek, query IO/CPU/Memory usage , physical and logical reads etc.
- Profiler is the tool in SSMS to do this.