Microsoft Azure Stream Analytics is a serverless scalable complex event processing engine by Microsoft that enables users to develop and run real-time analytics on multiple streams of data from sources such as devices, sensors, web sites, social media, and other applications (wiki).
- Stream Analytics is an event processing engine, which can ingest & analyze in real-time.
- ASA can stream data from devices, sensors, websites, social media feeds, applications, and more.
- Stream Analytics don't mandatory to store data, analyse data in motion as well as stored.
- Stream Analytics is built on a pull-based communication mode.
- Stream Analytics supports two input types, stream data and reference data. It has two source types, Azure Event Hubs and Azure Blob storage.
- Process starts with a source of streaming data that is ingested into Azure Event Hub or Azure Blob Storage. We can create a job that specifies the input source that streams data.
- The job also specifies a transformation query which is SQL-like query language that is used to filter, sort, aggregate, and join streaming.
- After analyzing the incoming data, we can transform data to a monitored queue to trigger custom workflows downstream, Power BI dashboard for real-time visualization or other Azure storage services.
- Stream Analytics can handle up to 1 GB of incoming data per second.
- As a managed service, Stream Analytics helps prevent data loss and provides business continuity.